Saturday, January 29, 2011

Grrr. Curse my lazy butt. Also, theatre!

Yeah, I forgot to update yesterday, but the blogging challenge is almost over. *sob?*

It's been a very interesting experience, trying to think of something to write about every day. I think readers here got to know me better this month than in all the others I've blogged.

Yesterday was a lovely day. I was CAST in the children's show (yay!) as the "saucy bartender". Hey, it's a western, you gotta have the girl running the town saloon. I'm so excited to be back in theatre. I haven't auditioned since June, and I really missed it.

Theatre is something I've loved since my first school play in eighth grade. I played Ethel Toffelmier, a small speaking role, in The Music Man. I got hooked, and nearly four years later, I'm still here, on the stage, making people laugh, cry, and (hopefully) think. I've been a talking bear, a dying old woman, a housekeeper, aaaand now a bartender.
I love theatre. All of it. I've met several kids who are pretty much theatre princesses- it seems that to them, theatre is about looking pretty on stage and getting attention. They may have actual talent, but I'm skeptical that they'd actually be willing to scratch up their arms cutting chicken wire, or spend hours bent over a set piece, painting every inch of it, getting your hands and face covered in green or black. But for me, that's part of the fun. It ties me to the production more than simply standing in a spotlight and speaking someone else's words. I've worked in the prop department of a local professional theatre for one of their shows, did running crew for the same show, helped to write another... I just like breathing the air. It's my hope that I can continue to act and work in theatre for the rest of my life.

I'm really looking forward to this play. I'll get to do what I love, and teach my younger friends some new skills, sharing my love with them. I can't wait.

Bragging moment: The seemingly random photo above is a tea tray I painted for a production of The Secret Garden. Yes, painted. It started out white. I turned it into that. This is still one of the most awesome things I've done in theatre.

Edit: Remember my friend who moved to Japan? I heard from him, and he explained everything. We still aren't sure when we'll see each other again, but we're staying in contact and he's going to try and visit. He's been hired at a modelling agency, so I may or may not post photos here of him from jobs, if he and the photographer don't mind. :)

3 comments:

  1. Yay for beging cast!

    Boo for theatre prisses who don't get their hands dirty.

    And, wow, that's a great opportunity for your friend. Remember the internet makes the world a very small place - you can always keep in touch a lot easier these days via e-mail and facebook, etc. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, hope you do great in your play. A saucy bartender sounds super sexy! I saw your post on my yellow tote, thanks! The fabric is from JOannes in the 50% discount section in my town. I love it! Break a leg in your play! (this is a good thing, I've been told, to tell theater people!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it's a *very* good thing. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete